Saturday, May 23, 2009

here comes the bride

Chris + Kari + a wedding= one sore camera holding hand. What a day! Photographing a wedding is like herding cattle. Really, it's the greatest job on the planet for a bossy person. Not sure if I am one or not, but to get to tell people what to do, where to go, how to stand, and when to smile is pretty fun. Kevin helped me get the kids to smile by acting like a monkey. It worked. He was referred to as the 'monkey man' for the rest of the day! Every wedding I go to there are always the usual characters, and this wedding was no different. There's the person (not the bride or groom) who thinks they should be in every picture, the man who wants to talk my ear off while I'm trying to do my job, the couple who dance a little too dirty at the reception, the happy couple who cannot muster a real smile anymore because their cheeks hurt so badly, and the mom who cannot say thank you enough. No wedding would be complete and my photographs would be far less entertaining without them! :)

The ceremony was lovely. We took the time in between events to head down to the beach and take photos by the water. A weekend in Seattle, the most overcast area in the country, a photographers dream come true was ruined by the sunshine. All weekend long in fact it was sunny. Oh well. The reception was in Edmonds, WA. A lovely set up complete with animal crackers on the tables. Sweet! This was the first wedding I've done where I set up a computer at the reception and played a slide show of a few pictures from the day. People loved it. Kevin sat over by the door with it to make sure no one walked off with it and got to hear people comment on the photos. He relayed very positive feedback for me. Affirming words help at the end of a long day!

We even got a chance to do a little Lindy-Hop during the dance after my work was done. After 9 months, we still remember the steps! By 10:00, 1,725 pictures later, we were exhausted, so we headed out and crashed for the night!

No comments: