Wednesday, May 27, 2009

pomp & circumstance

It's over. Thank goodness. What a day! Up at 7:15. I had to be at Amy's by 8:30 to curl her hair for her graduation today in Long Beach. It was curly! So curly in fact, I think she was freaking out when I left. With a promise that the heat would calm it down, I dashed out the door and ran to church to teach Jacob's Well. Before I started teaching, I asked the folks to think about something new they've learned in the last few weeks or a kairos moment they've had. I'm boggled by the fact that so few people actually share what I ask them to. I'm not sure if they're afraid others will think what they learned during this series should've been common knowledge, so they fear seeming dumb. Soooo not the case. It's hard to get others to be bold and share with others. Maybe they all learned the same thing. Let's talk about it! It seems sad to me that after six weeks of kingdom and covenant, nobody has learned anything worth sharing with the group. I'm starting to understand how different teachers in my life may have felt when they asked a question and nobody would raise their hand and participate. For anytime I may have added to the silence, I'm sorry.

After being gone the last 5 days, I convinced myself that I should skip the graduation and just go to Amy's party later in the day so more work could be completed. The more I thought about it, the sillier it seemed. I've never been to an outdoor graduation. Pack it up. I ran home, curled my hair, ate a fast lunch, changed clothes, and headed for California State University, Long Beach. Well, I headed down the wrong road. 45 minutes later, I arrived at the ceremony. Fortunately, I hadn't missed anything. We waited another 2 hours until Amy's name was called, but what an exciting 3 seconds it was! Graduations are so fun. Watching the proud parents wait patiently for their child's name to be called. Leaping to their feet and screaming loudly as their son waves from the stage. Wiping a tear or two before realizing what a spectacle they made of themselves when they blew the air horn. Sitting down. Amy was the cutest graduate there. Decked out in her gown and stole, orchid lei, curly hair (which had calmed down--promise kept), and a great big grin on her face. About 10 of us gathered to support her on the big day!

Chet & Theresa hosted the graduation celebration at their house. Yummy food, presents, conversations with friends, and a cake with Amy's picture on it completed the day on a good note. The first time one of my photos has made it on a cake. Exciting! It's crazy to think this time next year I'll be graduating from Luther Seminary. May 30, 2010. Kelly said she'd deliver a lei for my graduation! I'm gonna hold her to that!

3 comments:

Linda said...

May 30, 2010 - I'm coming too!

Jodi said...

Linda is getting on a plane for you? WOW!!! THAT is love! ;-)

Linda said...

Yep....I do love that girl!