Sunday, May 24, 2009

i love seattle!

This weekend of sunshine has been a blast! Kevin and I slept in as long as we could, and checked out of our hotel at 11:00 on the dot. He said he finally has a sense of how tired I am after a wedding. 12 hours of being on my feet, running around, and herding people into place is a hard job. But, we decided not to let our tiredness ruin our adventure for the day, so Seattle, here we come!

First stop: Pikes Place Market. Of all the things I wanted to see in Seattle, this was at the top of the list. And it did not disappoint. The smell of fresh fish covered every square inch of the market air. Fresh produce vendors offered samples of fruits, nuts, and noodles. Local artists jam packed booths with their finest work. Flower growers created bunch after bunch of gorgeous bouquets. We saw the first Starbucks, and shared lunch at Three Girls Bakery. The people around here are very unique. Such a blend. Most of the people working in the Market were young adults, artist-like, lots of tattoos and piercings. The artists were mostly middle aged people, working on their crafts as people browsed through their work. Then there were lots of REI model-like folks walking around. Chacos, Tevas, and Northface filled the streets. My rainbows are a little out of place up here. Looks like people are ready for an adventure at any moment. For all these years I had imagined the Marketplace to be something completely different. I only saw one fish get thrown, and really, very few fish vendors. It's funny how our imaginations arrange a scene to look a certain way with no knowledge of it to begin with. Kevin made sure I got my picture taken with some of the fishy smelling men there to complete the experience.

Another highlight of the day was the 38th Annual Northwest Folklife Festival in Seattle Center by the Space Needle. Thousands of people filled the sidewalks, grass areas, and stages to listen to music, watch dancing, and learn crafts. I could've thrown on the most random, uncoordinated outfit in my suitcase and would've fit right in here. Nobody matched. How liberating! Kevin and I stopped and spent a few minutes hula-hooping with monster hula hoops. We listened to a few bands, watched some henna tattoos get drawn, danced as we walked around, sampled goodies, and saw the mega fountain in the middle of the park with hundreds of people lining it and running through it! We were tempted as it was sunny and hot, but just watched instead. Boring, I know. It's so nice to have a few days without and agenda. Once we got back to our car, we decided to do some more exploring and wound our way around to the other side of the waterfront where we got an incredible view of the city. Boats, kayaks, cruise ships sailed by as we watched. Each day we had a tradition of getting a tasty treat: today, cookies and McFlurry's. Kevin's iphone has come in mighty handy as we navigated our way through the streets of Seattle.

On our way home we saw an incredible view of Mount Rainier, took some pictures outside of PLU, shared a delicious pizza supper with Hal & Anna, went for a walk around campus with Riley and got my feet/bad knees problem checked out by Dr. Anna. She helped us figure out what shoes we'll need for the marathon. My knees hurt so badly when I finish running even a few miles, so I'm open to all the help I can get as I hope to finish the race!















No comments: