Thursday, May 21, 2009

mountains of glass

Today officially marks one month left of internship. June 21, I'll be preaching 4 sermons, singing 4 songs, and using 4 boxes of kleenex. It's coming fast! Since Kevin and I missed our anniversary last weekend, we celebrated last night and exchanged gifts. Books. He made me an incredible book with all my blog entries and pictures in it, and got me a ratchet for slacklining. No, it is not comparable to a blender. I actually LOVE IT! I'll be flipping on the slackline in no time! By far the most thoughtful presents anyone has gotten me. I'm finally a published author! I also made him a book filled with pictures from the last year and a half. Try narrowing down over 1,000 pictures into 40. Not an easy job for a photo freak, but it turned out nice as well.

To distract myself from the fact, Hal (the most amazing tour guide and random fact genius in the Pacific Northwest) guided us around Tacoma for our first day of adventure. A walking tour of PLU in the morning through all the major buildings, and a spectacular view of Mount Rainier behind the PLU sign! Gorgeous! A trip to the top (climbing on ice) costs close to a thousand dollars. Not to mention all the gear you'd have to buy just to ice pick your way up the slippery mound. Someday. We grabbed some sandwiches and chips on our way out of the commons and headed into the city for a day of exploration.

The Museum of Glass in downtown Tacoma was a handful of eye candy for me and my new camera. Colors, textures, water, light, amazing. A walk across the Chihuly Bridge of Glass made for a few cool photo ops as well. Seeing incredible art like this makes me want to open up my own art shop with photographs, pottery, and jewelry. Downtown is so charming. The old buildings, glass art everywhere in public view, and the second cupcake shop I've been to in a week. hello, cupcake. There was a beautiful pink bike out front complete with a basket to fill with cupcakes. 4 special treats, and we were on our way. We sat down by the waterfront facing the sailboats and shared lunch in the warm Tacoma sun. Yes, it has been sunny since we got here--apparently not normal for this area. We'll see if it holds up. More driving around landed us near a beautiful view of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge which collapsed due to gale force winds (and was caught on film) in 1940. I found a link to the video on youtube if you'd like to watch it. Pretty incredible to think it swayed like a playground swing for an hour before collapsing. Everywhere you look, there are mountains, islands, bursting colorful flowers, ferries, and water. The perfect place for a pair of chacos. We shared supper tonight with Hal and his friends at Katie Down's on the waterfront to celebrate his 30th birthday. Lots of transplants from the midwest living out here. Hm...maybe this is where I should go for first call! :)

What a blessing to be able to come and enjoy a weekend away. Almost an entire week of vacation. We're really excited for Chris & Kari's wedding in Shoreline, exploring Seattle, more time with Hal & Anna, many more views of the incredible Mount Rainier, and lots of memories! I'm so thankful tonight for airplanes, yorkies, bing cherries, Kevin, a daybed, good friends, and a camera to help remember it all.

No comments: