Sunday, May 17, 2009

tipping and shaking

I sang a song in church today called "I'm Letting Go" by Francesca Battistelli. The first line of the song goes 'My heart beats, I'm standing on the edge. But my feet have finally left the ledge.' It talks all about letting go of the life I planned for myself. Interesting thing for a control freak to be singing. I was reminded (prompted by the Spirit if you ask me) that I wasn't just singing it, but needed to hear it for myself. As I was walking to go up and pray, I got to the place on the platform where I know I can close my eyes and still find my mark. So, I closed them, was barefoot at the time thanks to Moses and an experiential element in the service, and walked to the edge of the step. I lost my balance and tipped off the ledge. Luckily, the congregation was in prayer mode and hopefully had their eyes closed. Got it, God. Thanks. Time to let go a little.

I dropped mom and Paul off at the airport this afternoon, and I tell you what, it was just in time because tonight I experienced my first felt earthquake in LA. Wow, was it scary. I had just gotten home from church and was standing in my room when it sounded like someone was running loudly down the stairs. Then the walls started shaking. I could hear a few things fall to the ground. Of course, being the courageous person I am, I let out a scream and ran into the living room. Jane had run down from upstairs and was standing with me in the doorway. I guess that's where you go in an earthquake. When Jane is scared, I know it's ok to be scared. She and Bill said that was the biggest one they had felt in a long time. 5.0, lasted about 15 seconds and the center of it was just a few miles from us...so it was no wonder it was so big. Last year in Guatemala I was in my first earthquake. It was a 6.3, and we were in the upstairs of a restaurant. At the time I can remember saying, "this is cool!" Someone else reminded me that it wasn't something to joke about in that we could really get hurt. I was more worried about the volcanoes erupting than earthquakes, so I figured it wasn't worth freaking out over. So, given that one was a bigger shake, I couldn't believe how freaked out I was tonight. There were a few aftershocks. I learned they can happen days after the big one, so I can't wait to see how many more rumbles we get this week. It was enough to get my heart rate up and scare the crap out of me. I think it's time to go home before the predicted 'big one' hits.

No comments: