Tuesday, May 19, 2009

guiding after shocks

Alex Absalom is in town, and the earth won't stop shaking. Correlation? He's a cluster genius from England/Oklahoma. Same thing. He blessed the learning cluster last night with his teaching, and spent the whole day today leading the staff. We retreated with him today at Ascension Lutheran up in Palos Verdes. Rough location. A view of the entire city. The mountains, the ocean, the skyscrapers. It was a lovely place, and a very productive day! As we were sitting and meeting, the tables started rumbling. Another earthquake. This time it was a 4.1 and was very brief. It startled me again, but not as bad as Sunday night. I'm ready to leave the area for a few days. Tomorrow really cannot come quick enough.

Reflecting. It was hard evaluating the progress of the last 9 months. It just hasn't been enough time to feel as though I accomplished much. I guess I'll be able to gauge the success of my efforts later on when the groups I've been leading and equipping either flourish or plummet. I pray for the first.

We enjoyed a lovely supper at Macaroni Grill and then went down to the beach to spend some time listening for God. I seem to have more visions and interaction with God there, so I'm always thankful when I'm forced down there for some kind of staff time. God reminded me of the song, "Children Go where I send thee." I sang that back in high school and college. A spiritual. I had my camera draped around my neck, so as I sat there facing the ocean, I recreated what I thought that looked like in a photo. As a settler, it's easy for me to get stuck in one place on the road of life. To become a permanent resident of one place. I come from a family of settlers, so it's no surprise I struggle with this. Seeing California as a temporary stop along the way is hard because I do love it here. I felt that word from God to be a real encouragement to me that I am to go where God sends me, not where I feel comfortable. So many people I know enter ministry with restrictions on God's plan for their lives. I want to be open to go where I am needed. We are all sent to do something beyond ourselves. When we all own it, and begin to do something about it, imagine what could happen to this world. C'mon people! Join me! The ocean reminds me at times of that unknown and often scary place we're being lead to. The size, complexity, and creatures in it are unknown in parts, but that doesn't mean we ignore those parts. My prayer tonight is this: God, I know you will never leave me. Wherever you are leading me, even into uncharted territory, please help me to be brave and trust your guidance for my life. Amen.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Your post really touched me, and I am going to pray your same prayer for my own life. Thank you.

Dana said...

Amen, amen!