Sunday, May 31, 2009

holy spirit come

3 weeks from today. Where has the last 9 months gone? It's crazy. I preached twice today. Pentecost. Holy Spirit. Love it. Here's part of my sermon. Not verbatim, but close. I thought it'd be worth sharing.I've been learning a lot about the Spirit lately, and I'll admit, it makes me feel a little helpless to thin that the Spirit is in such control of my life. I guess it's because I'd like to take credit for some of the good change happening in my life...As I was sitting at my desk last night finishing up this sermon, I Had a kairos moment. As I was trying to write out or explain my struggle with understanding the Spirit, I just had a moment where I broke down. I'm sitting all alone in the office, tears are welling in my eyes, a huge lump has formed in my throat, and I just had this sense that God was saying to me, "Amber, you finally get it. It's not about you. You're a strong woman, I made you that way. Your strength comes from me. I get the credit for it. I made a covenant with you, and plan to be in relationship with you."

I guess I can't say God doesn't speak to me. I heard this one loud and clear. Like little whispers of wind through a field of wheat. I knew it was God speaking, because that wasn't something I'd ever think to say to myself.

I preached at the 8:00 service and had a bunch of moments in my sermon where I wanted people to respond out loud and it was like pulling teeth. At the 7:00 service, they had all had their sugar and were shouting random things out all sermon long. It was wild. Rowdy. All the high schoolers were there. They like to shake their head no when it should be yes just to throw me off. Dana even "shushed" me during my sermon when I had the people play a game. I resisted my urge to let her have it. Pet peeve #1. Thanks Dana! :) I wore my "arms are for hugging" shirt tonight along with my colorful rocket dogs in honor of Hannah. Only, the "for hugging" part is written in light pink. As people left, they said, "I was staring at your chest the whole time trying to figure out what your shirt said!" Great! Lesson for the day: don't wear shirts with words while preaching.

It was a fun day to be spirit filled here in California, but my heart was really in Minnesota with my love. Today First Lutheran (Kevin's church) and Ascension Lutheran merged to become Spirit of Christ Community Lutheran Church. A huge day for the community of St. Louis Park. They hazed ten new members this morning, and packed the place full with excitement and people. I wish I could've been there to see it happen. I'm so proud of Kevin for all the Spirit has helped him accomplish in just two years of ministry!

1 comment:

Auntie Dana said...

Sorry...I was just trying so hard to win the game...oops, no winners today :)